Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Time and training, pt 1

Time is a weird thing.  It seems like time is the seasoning to most things. 

Training for a mountain 100 feels like turning the treadmill/eliptical/row maching or whatever you are using to the max tension and then trying to train at that level.  It is very very hard.  Don't get me wrong.  I love it, but it's really honking hard.  I have been training like that since May 2012.  It is what I really like to do and I really do like some super hard work.  I signed up for Antelope Island 100 for a couple of reasons.  I really think the island is mysterious so there is a draw to that.  And also, I want to finish a 100 where I am running a very good portion of the time.  Climbing is what I'm the least good at.  So clearly in a mountain 100 (and when I say mountain 100 I mean something with elevation gain in the upward of 10K'-15K'+....Bighorn had 18K') climbing is a big part of the game.  I remember enjoying training last year for pacing Emily at Salt Flats because all I had to do was run.  No climbing, no hiking, just plain ol' running.  What a fun and happy thing to do!  So now, as I prepare to do the same with Antelope Island, I get to just run and run and run some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment